Monday, December 3, 2012

Open Sky: In Space

In the last section of Open Sky, Virilio really went deep into his philosophy. It's hard to admit but for a majority of the time I couldn't for the life of me understand the ideas he was trying to get across. By no means am I bashing Virilio for his logic or writing talent but more faulting myself for not being able to keep up with his reasoning. However, I will try and attempt to give a personal interpretation of what he was saying.

From my understanding, Virilio was talking about the connection between time and space. It sounded like there is a strong connection between physical geography and how time and space can be interpreted. If you are judging these things from a country standpoint there is domestic communication that doesn't even exist from a world standpoint. My interpretation of this is that communication between relatively local people means nothing in the context of the world on a general scale. For example my contact with a friend in California when I'm in South Carolina is non-existent when you show that conversation to someone in the Ukraine.

Furthermore, on a general knowledge basis, time is different to people in different areas of the world due to that various time zones. Someone in London may have experienced a moment in the Olympics last summer that someone in the United States wouldn't even be aware of until the next day when they wake up. So, although my analysis may be way off sadly, in terms of time and space affecting the world this is what I believe Virilio was discussing.


Daily Questions to Ponder:
1) How does time and space affect people geographically?

2)How can time and space change meaning when going between domestic and international communication?

No comments:

Post a Comment